Compensation & Training
Compensation for working as an Election Official on Election Day is $240. As a general requirement before working, you will attend and complete a three-hour training workshop designed for Election Officials. Compensation for training is an additional $25. Processing checks take up to six weeks.
Please note that if you attend training but for some reason cannot work on Election Day, you will not be paid for the training session. In addition, you are encouraged to attend an informal meeting, which is scheduled by your Chief Officer, to organize the voting room prior to Election Day.
Additional Information & Requirements
If you wish to apply to be an Election Official, please complete the online application. You will receive an email with directions and links to additional forms that must be completed as part of the application process.
In order to become a Virginia Beach Election Official, complete the Notice of Appointment Packet, I-9 form and Direct Deposit form. New applicants must apply in person at Voter Registration & Elections. Existing Election Officials completing their reappointment paperwork may return their paperwork in person at Voter Registration & Elections, by fax, by mail or via email to email@example.com.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen as well as a resident and qualified voter of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- You must be 18 years or older.
- You must be eligible to serve as an Election Official if you are a registered voter of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- You cannot hold an elected office or be the employee of an elected official.
- You must attend all required training sessions.
- You must be able to speak, read and write English.
- You must choose a political party so each precinct can be staffed appropriately.
- You must have patience when interacting with a variety of people during a long day.
- You must be willing to perform all the duties assigned as an Election Official.
- Election Officials must not engage in any political conversation with voters and/or fellow Election Officials. They should communicate no bias or opinions on the election or candidates.
- Election Officials will need working knowledge of computers so that you can operate the Electronic Pollbooks to check in voters.
- Election Officials must be able to follow directions, understand and operate the voting equipment once trained.
- Election Officials cannot conduct personal business within the polling location.
- Election Officials must be available to work the entire Election Day. For security reasons, no exceptions are permitted. Arrive at the polling location at 5 a.m., and remain there until the election results have been reported, all paperwork has been completed and the polling place has been returned to its original order (generally around 9 p.m.; 11 p.m. for Presidential Elections).
- Election Officials work for the Electoral Board and follow the guidelines and standards that lead to exceptional customer service for our residents in helping them to be a successful voter on Election Day.
- Election Officials must maintain a “good reputation” with both coworkers and voters in the precinct. They should be courteous, professional and helpful to voters.
- Election Officials must be willing to do what is necessary to maintain and secure the voting environment.
- Election Officials must wear attire that is understated and professional.
- Report to your assigned polling location no later than 5:00 a.m., and be prepared to stay until the polls are closed and all closing procedures are completed.
- Share the responsibility of the operations of the polling location.
- Assist in the setup and breakdown of tables, signage and voting equipment.
- Greet voters, instruct voters on voting machine use through demonstrations, assist at the poll book- and card-encoder and verify voter information.
- Assist on the completion of necessary election paperwork.
- Oversee the voting process to ensure it is conducted in a manner which maintains the integrity and security of the election.
If you are already an Election Official and have been issued login credentials, you can access your online account at any time.